In this blog post from our “From the Vet” series, Dr. Eileen identifies common household products that can be toxic to our pups. She also has easy guidelines on what to do so you have a good outcome if your pup gets ahold of one of them…
What are you eating?
You know the feeling – your pup is chewing on something and you realize that don’t know what? Mulch? Stick? Shoe? Sock? Favorite toy? And the guessing game (and at our house, the chasing game) then begins… Many household products are ingested accidentally by dog (less commonly by cats) and in general, the prognosis for household product ingestion is good with appropriate decontamination of the patient and supportive care. But here are a couple things to be on the lookout for (as they are considered COMMON ingestibles) and what to do if you find out that your pup has gotten ahold of one of these products.
Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA)
This supplement is used for diabetes. There is a very narrow safety margin in dogs and cats (cast are more sensitive). This can cause acute kidney injury and liver toxicosis.
Tea Tree Oil
Toxicosis has been reported with concentrated oil is used as a holistic remedy. Signs include depression, weakness, difficulty walking, and muscle tremors. Rarely coma and increased liver enzymes have been reported.
Several types of batteries cause corrosive injury or current induced injury potentially resulting in a perforation of the stomach or intestines. This causes decreased appetite, abdominal pain, increased respiratory rate and fever.
Paintballs contain polyethylene glycol, sorbitol, glycerin, gelatin, and other ingredients that can result in free water loss due to increased sodium. This can cause central nervous system and gastrointestinal disturbances.
Compost (and/or moldy food)
Tremorgenic mycotoxins can interfere with the release of neurotransmitter amino acids. Signs include central nervous system and gastrointestinal disturbances.
What to DO?